Nearly every corner of our world is connected. From our coffee makers to our cars, the Internet of Things (IoT) is changing how we live. As Thanksgiving approaches this week, we would like to take a few moments to give thanks for some of the ways in which IoT has improved, simplified, or otherwise enriched our lives.
We can manage our homes with our voice or remotely.
- Home voice controllers, such as Amazon Echo or Google Home, allow users to listen to music, search the internet, check the weather, adjust lighting, manage a schedule, create a grocery list, and so much more - all with a user's voice.
- Smart thermostat systems, like the Nest, can adjust the temperature according to your activities and routine.
- Doorbell Cam sallow you to detect motion at your door 24 hours a day and give you the ability to answer your door remotely.
We can make a cup of coffee from bed.
- Smart coffee makers allow you to control the timing of your favorite cup of coffee. Before you even get out of bed, your smart coffee maker can start the brewing process at your preferred time. IoT creates convenient solutions to performing everyday tasks.
Self-driving cars are becoming a reality.
- It is estimated that as many as 10million self-driving cars will be on the road as early as 2020. Though the time when roadways are dominated with autonomous cars is still off in the future, innovative companies like Tesla and Google are conducting intensive testing to make this a reality.
IoT can be good for your health.
- Patients living with health conditions like asthma and diabetes are seeing a revolution in the way they can receive treatment. Smart devices in medicine are delivering increased insights into how symptoms can be managed and offering patients more control over treatment and their lives.
- Wearable devices are being used to monitor symptoms and gather data in order to glean broader insights and patterns. This information is shared with medical professionals allowing for fewer visits to providers and giving patients more flexibility in how they approach their treatment.
Robots and humans are learning to work together.
- Robotics is not a new concept in the manufacturing world; how robots are used has changed though. The concept of collaborative robotics, where robots and human work alongside each other, is gaining traction and improving productivity on every level.
IoT's benefits are permeating our homes, the healthcare industry, and factories around the world. This trend is revolutionizing the way we live and work and expanding at an accelerated pace. Millions of devices with the ability to "talk" to each other will most certainly continue to touch every corner of our world.
The complexity of IoT will likely grow as will the need to manage this technological advancement. We are thankful for this exciting, optimistic time in the industry and look forward to the opportunities IoT will bring.
Contact AJTC today to learn more about IT security and other services. You may alsovisit AJTC here or reach us at 708.942.8200.